Vessels

Niagara

Niagara
steamship
1877
John Roach and Sons
From the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: "The third Niagara, a steamer, was built by John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa., in 1877; acquired by the Navy from Ward Line Steamship Company 11 April 1898; fitted out as a distilling and supply ship of the Collier Service and commissioned at New York 11 April 1898, Comdr. G.A. Bicknell in command. "Niagara departed New York 25 April 1898 for the Caribbean via Norfolk, Va., and Key West, Fla. During the Spanish-American War she served the fleet off Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Haiti. The ship returned to Hampton Roads 26 May and sailed 4 days later, again bound for ports in Cuba and Puerto Rico. Niagara remained on station in the Caribbean Sea until 24 July when she departed Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for New York, arriving 3 September. "Niagara remained at New York until she decommissioned 14 October 1898. She was sold 19 July 1899."

Related Objects

Niagra
CC-T-0171
Cozzens, Frederick S.
after 1877
View

Related People

Bicknell, G.A.
View